Posted by Martin on 29th December 2010

My Minotaur Lives, almost

…..and no sooner do I say I’ll post an update to this character when I next get a chance, but I find I actually had some free time to work on him some more

Anyway, here he is, the completed (albeit unrigged as such) Minotaur character. This was an interesting project because it’s the first time I’ve taken a model out of 3ds max into mudbox and then back in again. There was a LOT of trial and error with that workflow as I’ve created high poly models in 3ds max and then created a normal map of the high poly model onto a lower poly model, but this was the first time I’d actually tried it from Mudbox and to be honest, it really wasn’t working out as well as I’d hoped. My problem being that I was trying to render the normal map from Mudbox, rather than export/import the model back into 3ds max and use the process I was familiar with. Once I realised that I could do that it was somewhat plain sailing after that. A few areas didn’t quite work out the way they should so I ended up having to do a bit clean up work in PhotoShop to resolve issues with the normal and diffuse maps but all in all I’m quite happy with the end results and look forward to working on more, higher detailed models in the future.

I was also pleased with how the specular map turned out, as I was mostly after a dull finish to the main character but a slightly glossier finish to the eyes, nails, horns and hooves, but all in all he worked out well.